It often seems as if time slips by so quickly that the seasons are changing just as you’re getting used to the last one. Summer is only a few weeks away and sunny days are perfect for sipping delicious smoothies.
Which is why we want to treat you to some of the top smoothie recipes that you can easily make right at home.
The Cool Delight of a Puréed Beverage
Of course, not all smoothies incorporate crushed ice. Nor are smoothies strictly designed for summertime consumption. But it is the versatility of smoothies that make them a great beverage just about any time of year.
However, summer also means fresh blackberries, blueberries, nectarines, peaches, plums, and dozens of other tasty smoothie ingredients!
While it may seem unlike to some that not everyone is familiar with the concept of smoothies – or that there are those who haven’t actually tried one yet – the fact is that smoothies are still catching on with many people.
For those who are largely unfamiliar with what, exactly, constitutes a smoothie, Wikipedia explains them as follows:
“A smoothie is a beverage made by puréeing ingredients in a blender. A smoothie commonly has a liquid base, such as fruit juice or milk, yogurt or ice cream. Other ingredients may be added, including fruits, vegetables, non-dairy milk, crushed ice, whey powder or nutritional supplements.”
And according to one blog, the latest health-focused trends in the smoothie industry include the incorporation of plant-based ingredients, functional superfoods, adaptogens, and probiotics in smoothie recipes to provide additional health benefits, cater to various dietary requirements, and promote overall wellness.
While this is may the case in 2023, the smoothie has been “go to” liquid refreshment and more for almost 100 years now.
The Smoothie: A Drink, a Snack, or a Meal?
For some, that is determined by the quantity as much as by the ingredients. However, dietary science has actually weighed in on this question. According to the California Department of Education (CDE), of all places, a smoothie is categorized as either a food or a beverage.
Okay, but what makes the difference?
The CDE goes on to note that,
“A smoothie is a food if the first ingredient is a main food group category (e.g., fruit, vegetable, dairy, etc.). Under this definition, a fruit and/or vegetable juice is considered a main food group. If the first ingredient is water (or ice), then the second ingredient is used to determine if the smoothie is considered a food group. A smoothie deemed a food is further categorized as either a snack or an entrée based on additional ingredients.”
And a smoothie is considered a beverage if it is comprised entirely of ingredients such as ice, apple juice, pear juice, nonfat milk.
So, what are some good smoothie recipes you can make at home?
Top Five DIY Smoothie Recipes to Make at Home
Sometimes, the best things are the simplest. This healthy smoothie recipe can be made in less than a minute and is filling, nutritious, and easy to make.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water or juice
- 1/2 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ice
- In a high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy immediately.
- TO STORE: Freshly made smoothies should be enjoyed immediately, however, they can keep for up to eight hours when refrigerated. Be sure to whisk the smoothie before drinking in case of any separation.
- TO FREEZE: Smoothies can be frozen in ‘blocks’ and stored in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to enjoy, remove the smoothie block from the freezer and re-blend it until smooth. To thin it out, you can add some water, milk, or juice.
Banana Breakfast Smoothie
Arman Liew, proprietor of The Big Man’s World®, offers up this robust Banana Breakfast Smoothie recipe that he notes is like having dessert for breakfast, but it’s completely healthy!
- 1/2-2 frozen bananas more = thicker smoothie
- 1/2-3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice unsweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk works great
- 1-2 tablespoon nut or seed butter of choice I prefer almond butter or cashew butter *
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
- Break your banana up into smaller pieces for easy blending.
- Add all ingredients into the blender and blend until desired consistency.
- For a thicker, ice cream like smoothie, blend less. If smoothie is too thick, add more milk of choice.
- Top with cinnamon and enjoy.
* You can substitute this with whole nuts. If so, pulse them lightly first.
Peanut Butter Banana Caffeinated Smoothie
The folks at Tasty.co have a great solution for getting “your coffee and breakfast in at the same time with this sweet, salty, protein-packed, and caffeinated smoothie.” And they do this with a crazy good Peanut Butter Banana Caffeinated Smoothie.
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
- 1 ½ cups coffee, brewed, cooled
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, plus more for topping
- 1 ripe banana
- whipped cream, for topping
- Pour the coffee into an ice cube tray. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Add the coffee ice cubes, peanut butter, milk, chocolate syrup, and banana to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
Staying away from dairy? Here’s a “delish” Blueberry Smoothie recipe from the folks at Delish.com that makes use of oat milk – or almond milk if you prefer – in lieu of ice cream, cow’s milk, or other dairy liquids.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (For 2 servings)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 2 cup oat milk
- 1 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- Pinch kosher salt
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour and enjoy!
Super Green Smoothie Bowl
For those of us who are accustomed to starting our day with a bowl of… well, something, this tasty dish from our friends Down Under can make for an easy transition from oatmeal and cereal to a smoothie in a bowl. From Taste.com.au comes this robust recipe for a Super Green Smoothie Bowl.
- 2 peeled, sliced frozen bananas
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled, sliced, plus 1/2 kiwifruit, extra, to serve
- 60g baby spinach
- 20g chopped kale leaves
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, plus 1/2 tsp, extra, to serve
- 500ml (2 cups) So Good Cashew Unsweetened Milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp activated buckwheat (buckinis, see notes)
- Handful of mixed berries
- Place the banana, kiwifruit, spinach, kale, almond butter, chia seeds and almond milk in a large blender and blend until thick, creamy, and well combined.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls. Slice the extra kiwifruit. Top the smoothie bowls with sliced kiwifruit, coconut, buckinis, berries and extra chia seeds.
Buckinis are activated buckwheat groats that can be found in the health food aisle of some supermarkets or health food stores.
Cal Mart can Smooth Your Way to Organic Treats
When it comes to smoothie ingredients, “Napa Valley’s Finest Grocery”, Cal Mart, is a natural source.
In fact, Cal Mart in Calistoga has been a longtime destination for great shopping in Napa Valley for over half a century now. A locally owned and family-owned independent grocery store, Cal Mart has been consistently providing a unique and enjoyable shopping experience for our customers and, as a result, we’ve become the “go to” destination for Napa Valley shoppers for generations.
Our dedicated team of employees are proud to offer a wide selection and healthy variety in our grocery store and they have helped to make Cal Mart the premier location for fine Napa Valley wines, meats, cheeses, and fresh produce here in Calistoga.
So, if you’re looking to make healthy and delicious smoothies at home, along with other delectable dishes, then you’ll be happy to know that we offer a wide variety and quality selections. And you’ll find this to be the case throughout our store including in produce area, our meat and seafood section, and in our gourmet cheese department. In addition, we always offer the best in local quality wines and craft beers, too.
And for something a bit different, don’t forget to shop our unique and hard-to-find specialty foods department! Any time of year is the perfect time of year for an unexpected gift, so consider treating yourself or someone you care about to one of our beautiful gift baskets.
We’re ready to help you create some great summer smoothies and other healthy treats while you explore all that we have here at Cal Mart.
And while you’re here, please feel free to talk with our friendly and knowledgeable staff and then treat yourself to a Cal Mart smoothie from our Coffee Bar.